Today on the dinner menu is a Buckwheat Salad with Roasted Walnuts – absolutely delicious! It has the right amount of crunch and is full of healthy ingredients. I love to make this during the week for dinner and keep the left overs for lunch for the following day.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
Let’s start with dicing 1 red pepper into bite size chunks and placing it in a baking tray. Next add a handful of sundried tomatoes and lightly chopped walnuts. Combine the 3 ingredients with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and a good sprinkle of rosemary. Place in preheated oven at 200 degrees C/ 395 degrees F for 30 mins or until peppers are soft but still have a little crunch in the middle.
While the peppers are roasting, cook the buckwheat as per instructions on the packet. To add an extra level of flavour to the buckwheat add 1 cube of vegetable stock to the water.
The peppers are roasting, the buckwheat is cooking – now is time to prepare and combine the rest of the ingredients. Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan. Add diced onion and crushed garlic and fry all this until translucent and fragrant. Next add the sliced mushrooms and fry until cooked. Season with salt and pepper and 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar. That said, more than 1 Tbsp usually ends up in mine so add to your preference. Cook for 3 mins. Lastly add handful of spinach and mix until the spinach has wilted into the mixture.
Add the roast pepper mix from the oven and mix well with the ingredients in the saucepan. Last but not least, add the cooked buckwheat to the saucepan. Mix well and adjust seasoning to taste.
Your dinner is ready to be served!
Buckwheat Salad with Roasted Walnuts
Author Rose Scented Soul
- 2 Cups cooked buckwheat
- 1 Large Red Pepper
- 1/2 Jar Sundried Tomatoes
- 200g Baby spinach leaves
- 300g of Mushrooms
- 1 Medium red onion
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1-2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Tsp Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp walnuts
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 395 degrees F.
- Deseed the red pepper and cut into bite size pieces. Place in a baking tray. Add 1/2 a jar of sundried tomatoes and 2 large tbsp of lightly chopped walnuts. Coat in 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Lastly sprinkle with rosemary. Place in the oven and bake for 30 mins or until peppers have softened.
- Cook buckwheat as per instructions on the packet. To add extra flavour combine water with 1 cube of vegetable stock.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add chopped onion and crushed garlic and fry for 3 mins or until translucent and fragrant. Add sliced mushrooms and fry until cooked. Season with salt and pepper and a tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Add spinach to the mixture and cook until wilted.
- Add roasted peppers, sundried tomatoes and walnuts into the saucepan and mix until combined. Lastly add cooked buckwheat.
- Combine everything together and adjust seasoning to taste. The dish is ready to be served.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @RoseScentedSoul on Instagram